CERTIFIED TROUT OVA
CERTIFIED DISEASE FREE TROUT OVA
- IHN (infectious haematopoietic necrosis)
- VHS (viral haemorrhagicsepticaemia)
- ISA (infectious salmon anaemia)
- SAV (salmonid alphavirus)
- EHN (epizootic haematopoietic necrosis)
- EUS (Aphanomycesinvadans)
- IPN (infectious pancreatic necrosis)
- BKD (bacterial kidney disease)
- Whirling Disease (Myxosomacerebralis)
SLAUGHTER FISH | Each fish is dissected and samples of liver, spleen, pyloric caeca, heart, kidney and encephalon are collected in culture medium as per the OIE Manual of Diagnostic Tests for Aquatic Animals. Organ samples from five fish are pooled into one sample. Samples are transported on ice to reach the Virology Section of the Onderstepoort Veterinary Institute (OVI) by the day following the day of sampling. Virus isolation takes place on RTG2, CHSE, and EPC cell lines.
BROOD FISH | Hens are stripped and a small number of ova with approximately 1 ml of ovarian fluid are collected from each fish and placed into culture medium. Samples from five fish are pooled into one sample and submitted to the OVI as per samples from slaughter fish.
BIOSECURITY AND DISINFECTION PROTOCOL
Biosecurity measures and testing procedures at Sabieshoek Trout Farm were developed in the light of current knowledge of salmonid diseases and have been based on requirements laid down by the EU for certification of a disease free status for salmonids.
- Fish may only be introduced onto the farm form a site with an equivalent or greater disease free status.
- Sabieshoek Trout Farm has a protected water supply. The streams supplying the farm all originate as springs a short distance further up the escarpment and flow through managed forestry area with restricted access. There are no fish farming or fishing-related activities upstream of the farm. Below the farm a waterfall provides an effective barrier for upstream movement of salmonids.
- The farm is fenced with access control.
- Fertilised eggs are disinfected with iodophore before they are moved into the hatchery.
- The health status of the fish is closely monitored. Any untoward problems are brought to the attention of the private fish veterinarian.
- All eyed ova must be disinfected with iodophore immediately prior to packing for export.